Monday, February 8, 2010

Supporting the films.

I love movies. Re-phrase: I love movies in a primitive way. I am no movie-critic and I tend not to read any movie critics because, again, I love movies in a primitive way. I studied at school the basics of movie criticism, but I’ve never been a fan of critics, because I love movies for what they make to my guts. If a movie makes me think, makes me cry, makes me want to scream instead of falling asleep on my place, then I love it (Believe me, I do sleep at the movies if something is out of place or boring).

So, last week the Academy announced its nominations for the best in films of 2009. (Note: I don’t consider the Academy to be the ultimate voice on film critic, but I do watch the awards). And my attention was quickly drawn to the “supporting role” award. That award, female and male is my favorite one. Simple la raison de cet pourquois. When I was young I adored acting classes and thought that maybe someday I’d portray some villain at a movie. Why villains? Because unlike heroes, they appear briefly but have a huge tremendous impact on the story, they have more fun with it because of their mischevious nature and because they do not carry the heroic weight of the story on their shoulders. So, supporting actors and actresses for me, are the “villains” every story needs. They are brief, they don’t even get to appear on the poster of the movie at times, and the stories are never about them in the first place. But boy, oh boy, do their ephemereal appearences changed each film.


1974 – Winner: Robert de Niro as Vito Corleone in The Godfather II.
“Mais solo recordate de che vio ho fato un piacere.” (Just remember you owe me a favor.)

1985 – Nominee: Margaret Avery as Shug Avery in The Color Purple. *
“See, Daddy? Sinners have soul too.”


1994 – Nominee: Uma Thurman as Mia Wallace in Pulp Fiction.
“That’s when you know you found somebody real special…”

1996 – Nominee: Edward Norton as Aaron Stampler in Primal Fear.
“How the f*ck should I know?”

1999- Nominee: Haley Jael Osment as Cole Sear in The Sixth Sense.
“I see dead people.”



2006 – Nominee: Abigail Breslin as Olive Hoover in Little Miss Sunshine.
“In the trunk of our car.”


2007 – Winner: Javier Bardem as Anton Chirugh in No Country for Old Men.
“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

2008- Nominee: Viola Davis as Mrs. Miller in Doubt. ( The only nominee on this list who only acted for 8 minutes on the actual film and got her nomination for this appearence.)
“Let him have him, then.””

2008 – Posthumous Winner: Heath Ledger as The Joker in The Dark Knight.
“Why so serious?”



2009 – Nominee: Christopher Waltz as Col. Hans Landa in Inglorious Basterds.
“Now you’re in the hands of the SS. My hands to be exact.”

Share/Save/Bookmark